Welcome to the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan (WLAM). We were founded in 1919 by five self-proclaimed “ardent Portias of Detroit.” Today, our organization has grown extensively in size and purpose. Our membership includes attorneys, judges and law students. We have become a statewide organization with seven regional chapters, providing wide-ranging networking and professional development opportunities for women lawyers. Our mission is to advance the interest of women members of the legal profession, promote improvements in the administration of justice, and promote equality and social justice for all people. Please take a look at our site, including our services, events, and member listings. We hope you like what you see and will join us. We look forward to meeting you!
Message from the President
TOP TEN Takeaways from the WLAM 2015 Annual Meeting
We had a wonderful turnout for this year’s meeting. I was in awe of all of the amazing women in one place. If we missed you that day, I have put together my own short list for the day’s highlights…Read More...
9. Cooperation – Heather Lyke’s keynote address really made me consider how the rampant competition that tends to proliferate the legal field may be hindering as opposed to helping our progress.
8. First Impressions – Who knew a collar could make such a visual impact? I am still working on my effort to wear less black (and failing miserably), but awareness is the first step.
7. Know your Clients – We were reminded by the business owners panel how important it is really learn about your clients on a more personal level.
6. Find Something that Moves You – The non-profit panel inspired us all to seek new opportunities where we can use our skills for good.
5. NO pearls. Got it.
4. Bring Your A-Game – The Judges panel made clear that courtroom faux-pas do not go unnoticed.
3. More Time – The room was filled with so many incredible women, I only wish we had more time to catch up and network. While programming is a must, the day was over all too fast.
2. Recent History – A very special thank you to Carole Chiamp, Judge Pamela Harwood and Judge Kirsten Frank Kelly for reminding us that not so long ago, as women lawyers they had to fight just to be allowed in the same places as male lawyers. I make the mistake of forgetting that the incredibly hard work of these women and others paved my relatively easy path to being a woman lawyer.
1. Good luck – The Women Lawyers Association of Michigan is apparently NOT a good luck charm for the Detroit Tigers (13 to 1 loss against the Indians). I doubt they will be inviting us back for the playoffs.
Thank you again to all who attended and stay tuned for a great second half of 2015!
WLAM is dedicated to securing the rights of women in society, advancing the interests of women members of the legal profession, promoting improvements in the administration of justice, and promoting equality and social justice for all people. As advocates, we recognize that there is strength in numbers. Whether we are in a court room or on the steps of the Michigan State Capitol, WLAM’s voice is louder when we join together. Click here for details on WLAM’s advocacy efforts.